The birth of Louise Brown in July 1978 was the beginning of a new milestone in the successful understanding of how to treat infertility or IVF. As one of the creators of the Patrick Steptoe method called this event, this is the end of the beginning of a new direction. Then there were years of formation, development and improvement of the methodology. In fairness it should be said that the first success was obtained two years earlier, when the first pregnancy was obtained after laparoscopic egg retrieval and embryo transfer, the first positive result, unfortunately, the pregnancy was ectopic. It is hard to imagine what the clinic team, headed by Robert Edwards and Patrick Steptoe, went through. And only two years later, in the cycle of in vitro fertilization in a natural cycle, the first success was obtained in the treatment of infertility in women.
What to do with infertility?
Today, there are the following methods of infertility treatment:
- Conservative Methods
- Surgical treatments
- Assisted reproductive technologies
Conservative methods of infertility treatment in Kyiv
They are used for hormonal problems, ovulation disorders, inflammatory diseases and some other reasons.
Surgical treatments for infertility include:
- Hysteroscopy, hysteroresectoscopy (endoscopic method for diagnosing and treating pathology of the uterine cavity and cervical canal). The operation is carried out without a single incision. It is carried out in the operating room, by an obstetrician-gynecologist, under intravenous general anesthesia.
- Laparoscopy (endoscopic method of diagnosis and surgical interventions on the organs of the abdominal cavity and small pelvis) It is used to treat tubal-peritoneal factor of infertility, uterine factor of infertility, ovarian factor of infertility.
- TESA/TESE/PESA – urological surgical methods for taking material from testicular tissue and epididymis. These methods are carried out with azoospermia (the complete absence of sperm in the seminal fluid). The operation is performed by a urologist in the operating room under intravenous general anesthesia.
- PRP – ovarian therapy – a surgical method to increase ovarian reserve. It is performed by an obstetrician-gynecologist in an operating room, under intravenous general anesthesia under ultrasound control.
Assisted reproductive technologies — infertility treatment in Ukraine
From a medical point of view, in fact, infertility can be treated, help
assisted reproductive technologies (ART) include a set of procedures / manipulations with sperm and eggs for artificial insemination outside the woman’s body – (from Latin corpus – body) – in vitro fertilization to achieve pregnancy.
Infertility is treated with the main ART methods used, although the methods are already widely used for research purposes, genetic engineering, stem cell production, cloning, etc.
A very short period of time has passed from the time when ART was at the experimental stage to its general introduction into practice, how to treat infertility, especially in developed countries. Thanks to this technique, more than 1,000,000 children have already been born worldwide.
Today, ART provides a fairly high pregnancy rate, several times higher than with insemination …